Recontouring Near You
Recontouring is a treatment that’s done to reshape a patient’s teeth. This can include adjusting their shape, making them appear longer, or altering the appearance of their surface. The formal term for this process is odontoplasty.
Although a lot of people may not be familiar with this dental service, it is still a good solution to consider if you’re interested in changing your smile. At our local dental clinic, we provide recontouring near you; get in touch with us today to find out more information.
Reasons to Receiving Recontouring
Your dentist may suggest undergoing this process for multiple reasons, most of which are to address more minor cosmetic imperfections. This includes:
- Repairing smaller chips/cracks.
- Smoothing out your enamel.
- Irregularly shaped teeth.
- Uneven teeth.
- Modifying your canine teeth (making them less or more pointed).
Recontouring can help improve your overall dental hygiene. Smile adjustments can make it easier to brush and floss those hard-to-reach spaces, which means that you won’t need to worry about coming in for more complex and costly procedures in the future.
Before you can receive recontouring near you, however, your dentist will first need to assess the overall health of your mouth. They’ll take x-rays and physically examine your teeth and gums to ensure that everything looks good and that there are no other issues present like cavities or decay that could interfere with your treatment.
The Steps Involved
After your initial consultation and your dentist has indeed approved this course of action, here are the subsequent steps that will take place:
- A special instrument known as a sanding disc is brought in to remove some of the enamel on your tooth. This allows them to reshape it.
- This action is repeated until all the necessary teeth have been addressed.
- Your mouth is cleaned, and your teeth are polished.
- If needed, your dentist may suggest coming in for a follow-up appointment to see how your smile is faring.
It’s important to remember that once your enamel is scraped off, it cannot be replaced. So, your teeth will be slightly more vulnerable and increase your oral sensitivity, which is why you’ll need to maintain a good oral health routine at home like frequently brushing and flossing.
Have questions? No problem. At Keele Crosstown Dental, we provide recontouring in York to all patients who need it. Give our dental team a call or send us an email to set up a visit at a time that works best with your schedule.